What Accountants need to know about Social Security claiming strategies presented by John Garretson
1. Introduction - What type of person are you? Will I have enough? Possible realities. Value of working longer. Possible changes to the system.
2. The Value of Social Security - Full retirement age. Income you can't outlive. Inflation adjustments. Applying before FRA. Applying after FRA. Why delay benefits?
3. Social Security rules and strategies - Questions your clients should ask. Retirement benefits. Spousal benefits. Impact of working past 62.
4. Bi-Partisan Budget Act of 2015 - Summary of changes. Citizens impacted.
5. Social Security rules and strategies & others - Divorced spouse benefits. Survivor benefits.
6. Coordinating Benefits & Strategies - Qualification for multiple benefits. Social Security and re-marriage. Survivor planning. Strategies summarized by marital status. Planning for a long life. Impact on tax rates. Tools for tax control. Building income. The role of the Attorney. Estimating Social Security benefits.
NJAPA has always been dedicated to increasing and maintaining a high standard of proficiency and integrity among its members; cultivating a spirit of professional cooperation among its members; and establishing good will and understanding between the public and the membership.
John Garretson founded Garretson Financial in 2004. John is a graduate of Michigan State University with B.S. in Engineering and a member of the National Financial Aid Practitioner Alliance. he began his career in the financial industry as a Financial Advisor for Smith Barney where he made Junior Partner of the still private firm at the time. After 9 years at Smith Barney, John continued his focus on investment advising and financial planning when he moved to Paine Weber, which was eventually bought by UBS, before he started his own investment advisement firm. John works primarily with individual investors and small business owners, including managing their pension plan.